INC
INC, Solicitor-Advocate
Experience:  LL.B, LPC, LL.M, Pg.Dip, Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
12179604

My common law partner and I moved to Portugal 13 years ago

Customer Question

My common law partner and I moved to Portugal 13 years ago and two years later he sadly was killed . He died without a will but both our names are XXXXX XXXXX mortgage we took out to buy our home.I was not told while we were together that he had been married when he was very young and had four children. When he divorced some years later he was told he was never to have contact with these children again. We bought a farm here and I have carried on living here and taking care of the place and paying the taxes we both have to pay as we both own the property,single handedly and now want to sell and move on. I have no idea about these children of Steve's and both his parents are dead . I was told years ago that if any of these children wanted to claim Steve's part of the farm , they had six years to do it and had to register a claim thru the courts. This was never done and it is now five years past the six year statute of limitation that I was told about.Is this true , and if so, how can I get proof of a statute of limitation for this situation? I need proof of the statute and have it in a document form so that my lawyer here can prove beyond doubt that those children cannot come forward after eleven years and the farm can then be transferred into my name only . I just need to know how and where I can get a document that can be translated into Portuguese and show that there is a time limit to claiming a part of an estate.
Category: European Law
Expert:  Wendy-Mod replied 3 years ago.

I'm Wendy, and I’m a moderator for this Legal topic.

We have been working with our professionals to try to help you with your question. Sometimes it may take a bit of time to find the right fit.

I was checking to see if you had found an answer or if you still needed assistance from one of our professionals.

Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question.

Also remember that JustAnswer has a multitude of categories to help you with all your needs from Health, Pets, Computers, Cars, Finance, Tax, to Home Improvement, and more.

Thank you,
Wendy
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hello, I couldn't wait any longer so I don't wish to go any further. I was asleep when you got back to me. Please cancel and reimburse my money. Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX