José M.
José M., Attorney
Experience:  Spanish Attorney
54639574

Passport Travel with Criminal Record

Customer Question

I am an American citizen and I have a felony theft conviction on my record from years ago. I am applying for a passport as the company I am working for is planning on opening an office in india. By all accounts it doesn't look like I will have any issues as the conviction happened almost 10 years ago, off probation for almost 5 years, and the case is closed but will I have any issue getting into countries for work?

I am not sure how to change this to the correct category but European Law isn't applicable

Category: European Law
Expert:  José M. replied 3 years ago.

Abogado3044 :

Hi there

Abogado3044 :

In most countries felonies dissapears in the time wich las marks for this purpose and even when your own country does not erease them un this time they do not take care when you ask for the visa.

Abogado3044 :

So you can ask for theT

Abogado3044 :

so you can ask for the visa and they could no take care for the record. If they give you the visa you will have no more problems there.

Abogado3044 :

So ask for the Visa and wait for the results.

Abogado3044 :

Thank you forforma asking.

Customer :

Just to be clear, I am looking to travel with a passport not a visa, are you saying I need to apply for a visa to determine eligibility to travel?

Abogado3044 :

In order to work there you will need a visa which requires the criminal record of you to be presented. So they will have the innformation from it but they could consider the record cancelated. You will be required to present the criminal record when you ask for the visa and you have to wait until they decided

Abogado3044 :

Thank you