José M.
José M., Attorney
Experience:  Spanish Attorney
54639574

If a foreigner finds an ancient document, for example a papyrus

If a foreigner finds an ancient document, for example a papyrus sealed in an urn in the south of France that is carbon dated to the first century, is it legal for him to remove it from France without approval of the government and if not, what must be done to gain that approval. Is it the same for a French citizen?

I'm Fran, and I’m a moderator for this topic.

We have been working with the professionals to try to help you with your question. Sometimes it may take a bit of time to find the right fit. I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still needing assistance from one of the professionals.

Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question.Also remember that JustAnswer has a multitude of categories to help you with all your needs from Health, Pets, Computers, Cars, Finance, Law, to Home Improvement, and more.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have not yet found the answer, so please continue.

Thank you. We will continue to look for a professional to assist you. Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance while you wait.

Hello again,

We are still working with our Legal professionals to find you the best possible match. I wanted to touch base to see if you still needed a professional’s assistance.

Please let me know if you would like to continue to wait or if you would like to cancel your question at this time. We sincerely XXXXX XXXXX the extended wait time.

Thank you,
Wendy
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Please continue to seek the answer.

Thank you again for your patience, we will continue to look for a professional to assist you. Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance while you wait.

Best,
Wendy

Hi there

Its just the same for a national of france or foreign person

The hidden treasure its a propiety of the france goverment and the person who find it only could ask a litle part of the price in the best of the cases ( 10 per cent )

So, legaly the hidden treasure can no be take out of france, the person will no get the autorithation

Most people take the hidden treasures out of the european countries and sell them out in others markets were they will find no problems with that

You decide what is the best for you

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you. Would the French government have legal standing to sue for recovery in an EU country or the US?

If they could prove where it comes from... I mean it will be posible but very hard for they
José M., Attorney
Experience: Spanish Attorney