INC
INC, Solicitor-Advocate
Experience:  LL.B, Pg.Dip, LL.M, M.B.A (Pending), Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
12179604

I am renting a flat in Belgium. A the move-in inspection,

Customer Question

I am renting a flat in Belgium. A the move-in inspection, several major issues were noted that the landlord needed to address - including a 50 m2 terrace that was unusable because it was unsafe.
A year later, we are finally getting part of the terrace fixed - the landlord claimed he couldn't find anybody to do the work, and we finally found somebody. It has required taking up all the board on the terrace, replacing the supports which had rotted, and then relaying the top boards. As part of the work, the guard rail had to be removed. It was unsafe to start with. the landlord has refused to install a new guard rail, even though we have found the Belgian building code which shows the old handrail is not to code and is unsafe.
1. What are our options to get the landlord to put in a new guardrail that is to code.
2. Since our terrace was unusable for 13 months, and was included in our lease, what compensation are we entitled to and how do we claim it?
Category: European Law
Expert:  Fran-mod replied 1 year ago.
I'm Fran, and I’m a moderator for this topic.

We have been working with the professionals to try to help you with your question. Sometimes it may take a bit of time to find the right fit. I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still needing assistance from one of the professionals.

Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question.Also remember that JustAnswer has a multitude of categories to help you with all your needs from Health, Pets, Computers, Cars, Finance, Law, to Home Improvement, and more.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Still need help
Expert:  Wendy-Mod replied 1 year ago.

Thank you, we will continue to look for a professional to assist you. Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance while you wait.

Best,
Wendy
Expert:  Fran-mod replied 1 year ago.
Hello again,

We are still working with the professionals to find you the best possible match. I wanted to touch base to see if you still needed a professional’s assistance.

Please let me know if you would like to continue to wait or if you would like to cancel your question at this time. We sincerely apologize for the extended wait time.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Still need a reply
Expert:  Fran-mod replied 1 year ago.
Your question is open to all of our EU lawyers and site researchers. Thanks for your patience.
Expert:  Wendy-Mod replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry to say we have exhausted all our efforts at this time to find the right professional to assist you with your question.

While we were not able to assist you with this question, please keep in mind that JustAnswer has multiple categories, from Cars, Medical, Tax, and Computer to Home Improvement, to assist you with any question you may need answered.

Best,
Wendy