José M.
José M., Attorney
Experience:  Spanish Attorney
54639574

if i get my spanish citizenship, how will it affect me? will

if i get my spanish citizenship, how will it affect me? will it affect any of my rights as a US citizen?

Abogado3044 :

In order to get your spanish nationality you have to lose the US nationality because there is not an international treatment between US and Spain to keep the double nationality

Abogado3044 :

So you have to lose th US nationality first once they give you the chance to get the spanish nationality

Customer:

I know that the US does not recognize dual citizenship, but I thought I could still claim to be a US citizen in US and a spanish citizen in Spain. Is that not the case?

Abogado3044 :

It is not, you will have to refuse to the US nationality if you get the spanish nationality

Abogado3044 :

there is not the chance to get the two of them

Customer:

hmm. that complicates things.

Abogado3044 :

I see

Customer:

will i have to renounce my us citizenship as part of the application?

Abogado3044 :

Well, they do not ask you to renounce, the problem its that your own country, in your case US, will tell that you will lose it if you take another one, as spanish law says

Abogado3044 :

So, its your own country which says what will happen if you take another nationality