José M.
José M., Attorney
Experience:  Spanish Attorney
54639574

My daughter is a dual national, US and UK and resides in the

My daughter is a dual national, US and UK and resides in the US. She is going to university in Paris for the next four years to do a BA. What procedure should she use for showing passports? We think the following- can you advise? Show airline in Detroit, USA her Uk passport upon checking in for flight to Paris Show passport control at Detroit her US passport as she leaves country Show passport control at Paris her UK passport as she enters immigration at Paris Also her initial airlines ticket does it have to be for a return ticket for less than 90 days? Thanks. Also what is the return procedure Paris to Detroit?

Category: European Law
Expert:  José M. replied 1 year ago.
Hi

Ussualy people with two nationalities use the passport of the site they are in order to reduce problems
I mean that she can use the UK pasport in Europe and the US in there

Its perfectly legal

Best regards
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I want to know if the procedure I described is the correct one or not. Also can uk nationals stay in France for more than 90 days without a visa?
Expert:  José M. replied 1 year ago.

With the UK pasport yes she can, no problem with that

She must show the UK passport in Europe

She can stay as long as she wants in Europe with her valid UK passport

Expert:  José M. replied 1 year ago.

Please do not forget to rate positivly my answer, its the way the site pays the expert

Thank you

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I need the answer to the detailed procedure part of my question.
Expert:  José M. replied 1 year ago.

She can leave US with the US passport and enter CEE with UK pasport

No more to be done

No problem to stay longer than 90 days because she is CEE resident, she has a valid pasport

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I still need the answer to the detailed part of the question. I believe that you may need to show the airlines upon check in a different passport than the immigration control in the USA and France. I am trying to get that confirmed or disproved. For example when my daughter checks in with the airline in Detroit before leaving for paris I believe she would need to show them her UK passport as that is the only passport she can use to get into france and stay for more than 90 days. If she were to use the USA passport she would only be able to stay for up to 90 days. Is this the correct interpretation of the law?

Also I believe it is the law that she must show her USA passport to passport control as she goes through security as she exits the USA as she is a USA citizen. I want to know if this is a correct interpretation of the law? Then upon returning from Paris I believe she has to show the airline her USA passport as a Uk passport would require a visa to enter the USA. Is this correct? But then as she exits passport control in Paris which passport does she show the French passport authorities? Her UK or her USA one? My question is based on needing to know if the airline and the government passport control need to see different passports and do I have the correct interpretation of what needs to be done.Thanks.

Expert:  José M. replied 1 year ago.

Hi Sir

You need to show a valid pasport when you enter or exit, a legal pasport

But you could change what of them you use

You can leave US with your pasport and enter Europe with the UK pasport. Thats all

Not to use the same one

José M., Attorney
Experience: Spanish Attorney