Buachaill
Buachaill, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney
53108719

Hi, I have a question about republishing articles in full or

Hi, I have a question about republishing articles in full or just parts of it. I would translate one from English to another languge... I meet some terms like Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License however an the end I am not sure about it. Article (or part of it) would be published in non commercial site, which might become once commercial...
Can I do it without worrieng about consequences...

Buachaill :

1. Throughout the EU, copyright will attach to the original article. This means that you can only produce a translation of this original article with permission from the author, normally in the form of a copyright licence from the creator, or the publisher. Translation into another language whilst itself a creative act, is copying the original work, so it infringes copyright inherent in the original work. The only exception relates to personal use or to certain types of research work. Just because a publication of the work is non-commercial does not prevent it infringing copyright protection. So given what you propose regarding a website you will need to get a copyright licence from the original author of the work if you wish to use it on your website, even if for non-commercial purposes.

Buachaill :

Please RATE the Answer positively so that I may get paid

Customer:

Ok, I get it, but one thing, you say I can only produce a translation of this original article with permission from the author, normally in the form of a copyright licence from the creator, or the publisher. I understand that, can you tell me one thin,g I looked an article, it is this once http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cemetery . I don't see whoi is author, you have some expereinces with wikipedia maybe, to advise me where to find original author...

Buachaill :

2. Wikipedia is an open source platform to which many people contribute. There is no single author of any piece, nor is copyright asserted in relation to wikipedia articles, as the founder evoked a non profit principle. It is different with published works, where copyright is asserted, or with material on a website. You normally simply ask the website owner.

Buachaill :