José M.
José M., Attorney
Experience:  Spanish Attorney
54639574

International divorce UK / Serbia

Dear Sir / Madam, My husband and me want to divorce, hopefully by joint agreement on all matters. Both of us have dual UK / Serbian citizenship. We married in Serbia more than 20 years ago, and moved to the UK in 2001, where we both live ever since. We have no dependents, but we share ownership of two properties, one in the UK and another one in Serbia. Please could you advise whether it would be possible to divorce in Serbia, and whether it would be legal and binding in the UK? Also, how can we deal with the UK property in a Serbian divorce proceeding? Thanks very much in advance.

Category: European Law
Expert:  José M. replied 1 year ago.

Abogado3044 :

Hi there

Abogado3044 :

International law says that you could make the divorce in the last place of residence or the `place where one of you resides

Abogado3044 :

If both of you are residing in UK there its nothing to let you to make it in Serbia and you will have to manage in UK as it is the place where you reside and the last place where you have been living together

Abogado3044 :

If you try tomanage in Serbia the court will demand that you probe that Serbia its the palce where you reside or the last place of comun residence

Abogado3044 :

As it is not, you could not manage in Serbia

Abogado3044 :

I will be here if needed, thank you

Customer:

Many thanks Abogado3044.

Customer:

I have another question in this case

Abogado3044 :

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX on line if needed

Customer:

Howe can we deal with Serrbia property in teh UK divorce proceeding?

Customer:

Do we need to engage a lawyer, or we can do it ourselves, as we intend to agree on all matters?

Abogado3044 :

You can manage as you want as you are going to get an agreement on all matters, I mean that the agrement you get will be enought for the court

Abogado3044 :

Problems could become real if you break the original position of agreement

Customer:

So what paperwork, if any (valisd in the UK court) we need to submit for the Serrbian property?

Abogado3044 :

Yes, the court in UK needs to know all about all your propiety

Abogado3044 :

Because you two have to decide who is gooing to own after the divorce

Customer:

Yes. So what paperwoprk we need to submit? Is it translation of the Serbian did?

Abogado3044 :

Whatever you have, translated could be enought, because the court just will ratify your agreement

Customer:

Many thanks. I do understand that it could become difficult if we don't agree at the end, but at least we can test it and try this option first.

Abogado3044 :

Sure

Abogado3044 :

An agremented divorce its always the best for the parts

Customer:

I have no further questions. Thanks again.

Abogado3044 :

Thank you

José M., Attorney
Experience: Spanish Attorney