T.DePas
T.DePas, Attorney
Experience:  Solicitor - Ph.D. Doctor Europaeus in EU law

My grandfather and father were portugal nationals but both

My grandfather and father were portugal nationals but both have died i woud like to apply for nationality on there behalf is it possible and how.
Category: European Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 10 months ago.
Hi

Are you are asking whether you can apply for UK citizenship 4 then?

Or are you asking whether you can apply for u k citizenship for you?

Tom
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

i wanted to apply for a european nationality on there basis for me. and that i was not living in portugal when my father was young we moved to pakistan.

is it possible to apply for the nationality.

Expert:  Thomas replied 10 months ago.
Hi

You I need a portuguese lawyer. I will ask that this question is we catagorized

Tom
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

i am sorry i did'nt understand

Expert:  Thomas replied 10 months ago.
No problem, I have posted this to "European Law". Someone will answer but please be patient.

Tom
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

ok.

when should i recieve a answer.

Expert:  Thomas replied 10 months ago.
I don't know. You will have to be patient because you posted your question incorrectly.
Expert:  T.DePas replied 10 months ago.

Dear Customer,

Thank you for contacting JustAnswer. Under Portuguese law, the child of a Portuguese parent born in a foreign country is automatically a Portuguese citizen.

This means that the child can apply for citizenship at any time in his/her life even when the parent is already dead. Letter "c", nº 1, article 1 of Law nº 37/81 together with decree-law nº 237-A/2006 provide that you can apply at the Portuguese embassy of your Country of residence. Also grandchildren of Portuguese nationals are entitled to the same right under article 6 nº 4 of law nº 37/81.

Acquiring Portuguese nationality would imply for you to become automatically a European Citizen. This would automatically enable you and your family to move and work freely in the EU under the rules provided by Directive 2004/38.

I hope this answers your question. If you are happy with my answer please do not hesitate to rate it positively otherwise I do not get compensation for my time.

I will then be available to answer all your follow-up questions.

A bonus is very much appreciated.

Best,

Tiziana

T.DePas, Attorney
Experience: Solicitor - Ph.D. Doctor Europaeus in EU law
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

thanks for the information very accurate.

In case there is no embassy in my country what are my options

Expert:  T.DePas replied 9 months ago.

Thank you for following up.

Could you please specify which is your Country? Is it still Pakistan?

I look forward to your response.

In the meanwhile, I kindly ask you to rate my answer positively through the smileys system otherwise I do not get compensated for my job.

Please consider that a bonus is very much appreciated.

Best,

Tiziana