T.DePas, Attorney
Experience:  Solicitor - Ph.D. Doctor Europaeus in EU law

Good morning. This relates to Croatian inheritance law. My

Customer Question

Good morning. This relates to Croatian inheritance law. My wife's father, at time of death in 1973, was a substantial landholder. As his only child, she and his widow (her step-mother) were granted ownership rights per inheritance proceedings in the many parcels, some by will and some by reserved portion per law. Land records today accurately reflect this.
The step-mother, now 90, never bore a child. Does my wife, as step-child (not adopted) have inheritance rights? (more)
Category: European Law
Expert:  Fran-mod replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for contacting

It was brought to our attention that you asked a legal question about Croatia, where we do not have active professionals. As much as we would like to assist you, we have to be honest and say that the best we can do is provide a legal Internet researcher who might be able to find your answer. We realize that option is not ideal, and we always want to provide our customers with the best possible answer.

At this time, we'd like to give you the option of leaving your question open. Keep in mind that you're never obligated to accept an answer that you're not satisfied with, and you can try it out before you accept. Or, we can close your question page for you, if you prefer.
Expert:  T.DePas replied 3 years ago.
Dear customer,

Thank you for contacting JustAnswer.

Articles 9 and 11/4 of the Croatian civil code reserve a legal portion of inheritance only to children, the spouse and the parents of the deceased. As your wife has not been adopted by her step-mother, she cannot be considered as one of her legitimate heirs and, in the absence of other legitimate heirs, the inheritance would go to the Public authorities.

In these cases, to avoid the loss of properties, it is strongly suggestible to write a will with which the testator can decide about his/her complete ownership.

I hope this helps. If you are happy with my answer, please do not hesitate to rate it positively so that I can get compensated for my time. This would be without any extra charge for you.

I remain at your disposal should you need any further information.