Buachaill, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney

My questiion relates to Irish Building Regulations.My questiion

My questiion relates to Irish Building Regulations.
My questiion relates to Irish Building Regulations & specifically with regard to the classification of 'habitable' accommodation with respect to the conversion of an attic roof space to usable accommodation ancillary to the enjoyment of a dwelling.
Can a room within a roofspace having restricted height not in accord with the suggested height of habitable rooms as detailed in Technical Guidance Document F be classified as a habitable room & be marketed as, say an additional bedroom, when selling a property.
To whad degree does Part B of the regulations come in to play in this regard?

Buachaill :

1. The Irish building regulations have no application when it comes to selling property. Essentially, a smaller bedroom below the definition of "habitable" accommodation may be safely marketed as an extra bedroom without any comeback. The Building Control Regulations only have application to the construction of new buildings. They have no application to the sale of property. There is no such thing as civil liability flowing when selling a house with a bedroom below the size required by the Building Control Regulations. Essentially, the purchase will be able to satisfy themselves upon inspection of the size of each bedroom. The motto "caveat emptor" (Buyer beware) applies when buying and selling property. A purchaser has no comeback after purchasing a house if the bedroom turns out to be smaller than that recommended in Building Control REgulations. You need to consider that many old houses have bedrooms smaller than the minimum size set out in the Building Control Regulations. These houses sell all the time and there is no civil liability attaching to the fact the bedrooms are below size. So ignore the Building Control Regulations when you are thinking in terms of selling houses. Buyer beware or caveat emptor applies.

Buachaill :

Please RATE the Answer positively so that I may get paid