Clare
Clare, Solicitor
Experience:  Attorney
13262538

I am a UK citizen and my two children (6 and 4) were born in

Customer Question

I am a UK citizen and my two children (6 and 4) were born in Guildford and thus have UK passports and citizenship. My ex wife is a Belgian national (Russian born) and has the children in Brussels where I visit them every other weekend.

My ex wife is looking to get the children Belgian citizenship, mainly for convenience reasons - will this effect any rights I have over the children - I want them to remain predominantly British and certainly not become Belgian only?

Thanks

Peter
Category: European Law
Expert:  Wendy-Mod replied 3 years ago.

I'm Wendy, and I’m a moderator for this topic.

We have been working with the professionals to try to help you with your question. Sometimes it may take a bit of time to find the right fit.

I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still needing assistance from one of the professionals.

Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question.

Also remember that JustAnswer has a multitude of categories to help you with all your needs from Health, Pets, Computers, Cars, Finance, Tax, to Home Improvement, and more.

Thank you,
Wendy
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I'd like to wait for an answer please - its quite urgent

Regards

Peter

Expert:  Fran-mod replied 3 years ago.

Thank you. We will continue to look for a professional to assist you. Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance while you wait.

Best,
Expert:  Clare replied 3 years ago.
Hi
Thank you for your question I shall do my best to assist you.
Since the children are Resident in Belgium in is Belgian law that covers the issues of Residence Contact and Maintenance.
This is the case no matter what nationality the children have and accordingly the change will not effect the current arrangements.
Belgium allows it s citizens to have dual Nationality - as does the UK so there is no reason why the children should not have the benefit of this to reflect their dual heritage
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further information
Claire