Ask TKenney, Ph.D. LawyerAvocat Your Own ...

TKenney, Ph.D. LawyerAvocat
TKenney, Ph.D. LawyerAvocat, Attorney
Experience:  French lawyer, European law lawyer, 10+ years experience

If i have been living in Belgium with my belgian wife for 10 years and

If i have been living in Belgium with my belgian wife for 10 years and it is her house coming into the marriage and we get a divorce can she kick me out of the house or do i have equal rights to it?
I am an American!
Category: European Law
Expert:  Fran-mod replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I'm a moderator for this topic. I've been working hard to find a professional to assist you right away, but sometimes finding the right professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes, please continue - thank you!

Expert:  wendy-Mod replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your patience. We will continue the search for a professional for you.

Regards,
Wendy
Expert:  TKenney, Ph.D. LawyerAvocat replied 1 year ago.
You do not have equal rights to the house because it is your wife's house. No, she can not just kick you out. In the event of a contested divorce, a judge will decide who will get the use of the house, even though it is your wife's house. You will both have to present your arguments as to why the house should go to you. If there are children involved, the person who gets the custody of the children usually get the house, unless for example the house was used also for a home business for the other spouse and there is a proofen danger of losing one job, business, and income. There will be a court oder rendered on this matter. You must fight. However, if the court grants the house to you, you will have to pay rent to your wife. Lets hope that the judge is a good judge and not anti American.
TKenney, Ph.D. LawyerAvocat, Attorney
Experience: French lawyer, European law lawyer, 10+ years experience
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Very well explained and i know it is a difficult question. We have no children by the way. The house was used for a home busienss by me.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

sorry i dont need my question answered i just sent. That was just a comment - so dont charge me anymore please - thanks! You did a nice job. Bye