INC
INC, Solicitor-Advocate
Experience:  LL.B, Pg.Dip, LL.M, M.B.A (Pending), Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
12179604

More details...hmmm...my wife is a Dutch citizen, my one child

Customer Question

More details...hmmm...my wife is a Dutch citizen, my one child is a Dutch citizen, and our second child will be born in a week or two, again in the Netherlands. My wife does not make enough with her job to sponsor me, so I was trying to sponsor myself through Work Sponsorship, but the job offer fell through and my legal time here ends in a couple weeks. Do I have legal rights as a parent, or through marriage to a Dutch citizen, to stay here with my family and get my paperwork straight so I can work?
Category: European Law
Expert:  INC replied 1 year ago.

INC :

Please remember to RATE my answer by using the smiley faces OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE. If you seek clarification please ask.

INC :

Hi, is it possible for you and your wife to travel to another member state and exercise treaty rights for at least a period of three months?

Customer :

It might be possible to go to Germany. I don't know if I have the time, though. My time in the Netherlands runs out in a week and my understanding was that the time applied equally through all Schengen treaty nations. If we could travel, what would that accomplish?

INC :

Hi, that is not necessarily the case.

INC :

As the Spouse of an EEA National, if you exercise treaty rights in another member state, along with your spouse, for at least 3 months and then return to the EEA Country of your Spouse, they should allow you in the same as any other EEA National.

Customer :

OK, I see. After I came back in, what would allow me to obtain a residency or working permit? Would being the parent of a Dutch/EU/EEA citizen make that easier? Is being a spouse of a Dutch/EU citizen helpful in allowing me to stay with my family and work? Or would it be easier to do this in a country other than the country of my spouse?

INC :

Hi, being the parent of an EEA National child should make the process simpler under the ruling in the case of Zambrano.

Expert:  INC replied 1 year ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.