T.DePas
T.DePas, Attorney
Experience:  Solicitor - Ph.D. Doctor Europaeus in EU law
66763543

We are a Norwegian company who buy materials in Canada and

Customer Question

We are a Norwegian company who buy materials in Canada and pay to the supplyer.

We deliver the goods to an oil Company. Our agent deliver some service in addition with the goods and the invoice the oil company. We invoice our agent and do not add VAT or GST, which I assume is the same.
Our agent however invoice the oil company and add 5 % GST.

My question is what shal our agent do with the 5 % GST he collects from the oil company.

Regards Lars
Category: European Law
Expert:  T.DePas replied 1 year ago.
Dear customer,

Thank you for contacting JustAnswer.

Could you please inform me where is your agent based and whether he invoices the GST for the whole service or only for the services that he offers in addition with the goods?

I look forward to your response.

Best,

Tiziana
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The agent is based in Alberta

He invoice GST for both the service and the material

Rgds Lars

Expert:  T.DePas replied 1 year ago.
Dear Lars,

Thank you for your prompt response.

If your agent is based in Norway, he has then the same duties that you have. He cannot charge GST or VAT (which you are right, they are not the same thing), because he is providing services and goods to a non-European Country.

Indeed, If the place of supply of your service is not in the EU, then his (and your) supply of services is outside the scope of VAT. You don't have to charge EU VAT or include the sale on your VAT Return.

I hope that my answer is helpful to you.

I would be very grateful if you could rate my answer positively and agree for a bonus. Like that I can get paid for my job with the amount you have already deposited.

I remain at your complete disposal should you need any further information.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Best,

Tiziana
Expert:  T.DePas replied 1 year ago.
Dear Lars,

I hope you are happy with my answer.

If this is the case, I would very much appreciate if you could rate it positively and agree for a bonus so that I can get compensated for my time without any extra charge from you, with the amount you have already deposited.

Otherwise, please consider that I remain at your complete disposal should you need any further information.

Best,

Tiziana
Expert:  T.DePas replied 1 year ago.
Dear Lars,

I hope you are happy with my answer.

Best,

Tiziana