T.DePas, Attorney
Experience:  Solicitor - Ph.D. Doctor Europaeus in EU law

I have received a summons to the police station in Belgium

I have received a summons to the police station in Belgium with a complaint number associated. I do not know what the complaint is and the request to appear at the police station is for one of the days of the weekend.

My neighbor says this is for something very small and not to worry about it. He says he had a parking ticket blow away and they asked him to come in, talk about it and pay the fine. Is there a need to be concerned on my part? Should I take any particular actions?
Dear customer,

Thank you for your question.

Your neighbor is right. The police in Belgium sends summons even for really simple issues. Sometimes they summon just to notify you a fine that they were not able to send you at your residence. Other times, if you are registered as a resident in Belgium, the summon can be aimed at verifying that you are actually residing in the Country.

I hope that my answer is helpful to you.

I would be very grateful if you could rate my answer positively and agree for a bonus. Like that I can get paid for my job with the amount you have already deposited.

I remain at your complete disposal should you need any further information.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you so much for this. The things missing to help me feel like I really understand is if the Police would send a summons like this for something serious in cases where I would not have any other information to indicate there is a serious case.

I just want to feel good about not bringing legal representation with me considering I am not a native, am far from fluent and have no interest in causing or being in any kind of trouble.

Thank you,

Dear customer,

Thank you for following-up.

There is no need to bring any legal representation at this stage if the summon you received does not provide for the possibility for you to bring a legal representative.

I wish you all the best,