T.DePas
T.DePas, Attorney
Experience:  Solicitor - Ph.D. Doctor Europaeus in EU law
66763543

can I have a freehold/ownership of property in Hungary, as

can I have a freehold/ownership of property in Hungary, as a foreigner, non investor, non EU citizen?

Dear customer,

Thank you for contacting JustAnswer.

A Government directive on sales of real estate of 1996 states that foreigners need a permission to buy property in Hungary. This permission is issued by the local government offices. To process the application the local authorities would request you to pay a tax of 50,000 Forints – around 170 Euros. The examination of the application will take up to one month.

In this regard, you should know that The Law on Foreigners of 2007 provides for three different categories of third-country nationals:

1)Short-term residents;
2)Hungarian permanent residence holders (“Letelepedett” or “Settled person”)
3)EU permanent residence holders.

Instead, the Directive on sales of real estate of 1996 that we mentioned before refers to the general category of "immigrants".

As a consequence, there seems to exist confusion about what “foreigner” means as it is not clear for the local authorities if it includes all categories of “immigrants” or only “settled persons”.

At this stage the trend recorded at The Budapest Local Government Office (BFKH) is to exclude only the refugees from the purchasing permission procedure.

On the contrary, all settled foreigners with a permanent residence permit (“letelepedési engedély”) can be issued a permission to buy an apartment in Hungary.

The Land Registry (a national institution) however is of different opinion: if a buyer is a settled foreigner with a permanent residence permit (“letelepedési engedély”), they will execute the change of ownership of an apartment against a purchasing contract alone and without any permission.

I hope that my answer is helpful to you.

I would be very grateful if you could rate my answer positively and agree for a bonus. Like that I can get paid for my job with the amount you have already deposited.

I remain at your complete disposal should you need any further information.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Best,

Tizian
Dear Ahmad,

I hope my answer was of assistance to you.

I would be very grateful if you could rate it positively and agree for a bonus. Like that I can get paid for my job without any extra charge for you with the amount you have already deposited.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Best,

Tiziana