Ronan, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney

I recently purchased some photography equipment from a company

Customer Question

I recently purchased some photography equipment from a company based in Germany. I am a sole trader business. I contacted them 3 days later and asked to cancel part of the order. We do not have a "contract", they only sent me a PayPal invoice which I paid by my business credit card. I know for a fact that they have not sent the items out (they had to order in from another warehouse). What are my rights in this situation? I want to get a refund, but they say the best they can do is a credit.
Category: European Law
Expert:  Ali172 replied 3 years ago.
Hello and welcome to Just Answer.

My name is Alex and I'm happy to help with your question today.

How much is involved?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The whole order was for about 900 Euro but I want to cancel one item worth 499 Euro.

Expert:  Ali172 replied 3 years ago.
Hi. I apologise but your question is listed in the UK section. I will have to transfer you to a EU Law expert.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ok..I didnt see an EU section sorry

Expert:  Ali172 replied 3 years ago.
No worries. A specialist in the EU LAW section will contact you. Thanks.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Other.
was not a european law expert
Expert:  Ronan replied 3 years ago.
Unfortunately you do have a contract with them in the form of an oral agreement. Unless there for there is provision on the invoice you can t simply cancel your Oder. If the goods are somehow defective this will allow you to cancel order beyond that you are bound by the terms of the original agreement

However that said, and given the value of the order, that you are in the UK and they are in Germany. It is unlikely they would pursue the matter for judgement against you because of the cost and hassle involved. Be warned however it is possible to obtain judgement in Germany and seek to enforce it in the Uk