Ronan
Ronan, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney
33511193

my son (resident in England is marrying a girl (resident in

Customer Question

my son (resident in England is marrying a girl (resident in portugal) in Portugal on July 13th . I want to help out with the wedding to the sum of 10.000 euros . How can I do this without being liable for tax?
Category: European Law
Expert:  Ronan replied 3 years ago.
There is no tax liability on a sum of €10,000.00 gifted to your child. The threshold before a child would become liable to Capital Acquisition Tax is €250,000.00. As for you. there is no tax implications for you giving a gift
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I don`t think I mentioned that we live in Madrid : I presume your answer applies to Spanish law too.

Expert:  Ronan replied 3 years ago.
If he is resident in the UK then that is the jurisdiction that deals with the tax so it is not relevant where the money comes from