How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ronan Your Own Question
Ronan, Attorney
Category: European Law
Satisfied Customers: 2209
Experience:  Attorney
Type Your European Law Question Here...
Ronan is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

my son (resident in England is marrying a girl (resident in

Customer Question

my son (resident in England is marrying a girl (resident in portugal) in Portugal on July 13th . I want to help out with the wedding to the sum of 10.000 euros . How can I do this without being liable for tax?
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: European Law
Expert:  Ronan replied 3 years ago.
There is no tax liability on a sum of €10,000.00 gifted to your child. The threshold before a child would become liable to Capital Acquisition Tax is €250,000.00. As for you. there is no tax implications for you giving a gift
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I don`t think I mentioned that we live in Madrid : I presume your answer applies to Spanish law too.

Expert:  Ronan replied 3 years ago.
If he is resident in the UK then that is the jurisdiction that deals with the tax so it is not relevant where the money comes from

Related European Law Questions