INC
INC, Solicitor-Advocate
Experience:  LL.B, Pg.Dip, LL.M, M.B.A (Pending), Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
12179604

Good Morning, I am the owner of an apartment in Portugal.

Customer Question

Good Morning,

I am the owner of an apartment in Portugal. I am living overseas in Saudi Arabia.

I used the services of Remax Property to rent my property long-term. New tenants moved in on 26th December and signed a one year lease. However, they broke the term and decided to move out at the end of February. They had given me a one month security deposit which I was advised to keep hold off by Remax, since the tenants had broken the lease. However, the tenants said if I am keeping the lease, they will stay in the apartment for one more month to the end of March.

The only key I have to the property is with the tenants as Remax did not think to get a spare key cut. The tenants are not answering their phone and do not answer the door when Remax tries to contact them.

I just wonder where I stand legally. The lease is in Portuguese and my Lawyer in Portugal has not come back to me with any advice, despite contacting her a few weeks ago. She says even if they had a key and wanted to enter the property, they could not do so legally, and I would have to do this myself with the police present. If need be, I will fly to Portugal and this is what I will do.

Any advice you can give me would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks
Breige McGill
Category: European Law
Expert:  Fran-mod replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I'm a moderator for this topic. I've been working hard to find a professional to assist you right away, but sometimes finding the right professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I'm happy to wait for a response.

Thanks

Breige

Expert:  Fran-mod replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your patience. We will continue the search for a Professional for you.
Expert:  Wendy-Mod replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your patience, your business is very important to us, we are waiting on the Professional with the right expertise to come online. Please let us know if you would like us to continue searching for a Professional or if you would like us to close your question.

We appreciate your understanding!
Wendy
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Good Morning,

I am happy to wait for a few more days.

Thanks

Breige

Expert:  Fran-mod replied 1 year ago.
Please understand that it’s rare when we cannot find the right professional. Nevertheless, because you are entitled to your money back with no questions asked, we will process your refund immediately at your request. Please accept our sincere apology. We hope you’ll think of us again when the need arises.