José M.
José M., Attorney
Experience:  Spanish Attorney
54639574

I have a court case against a developer in Spain for non completion

Customer Question

I have a court case against a developer in Spain for non completion of facilities. If I lose this case then I believe they can seize my UK assets. How long would this take
Category: European Law
Expert:  José M. replied 1 year ago.

Abogado3044 :

Hi

Abogado3044 :

Its possible but very hard to manage

Customer :

What do you mean by hard to manage.

Abogado3044 :

I mean that in order to manage they will have to make a new procedure in UK

Abogado3044 :

An spanish judge can no seize your assets in UK

Abogado3044 :

So the creditor has to validate the spanish sentence in UK

Customer :

So how do they validate this sentence is it another court case. I have been told that the European court have made this easy now

Abogado3044 :

Its not so aesy, its a new procedure

Abogado3044 :

They have to validate the sentence in a new procedure, and once its made they need to ask for the UK judge to execute your assets

Customer :

Could I protect my UK assets

Abogado3044 :

No less than 6 months

Abogado3044 :

Well, if it is an important sum of money you must to protect the assets according UK law before they got the sentence

Customer :

Is it possible that a new procedure taken in the UK could just not validate the outcome of the court in Spain

Abogado3044 :

To inscribe them in another name as example

Abogado3044 :

Its possible but not easy to probe that the spanish sentence its not legal

Abogado3044 :

They could probe that the spanish sentence its legal and ask to execute it in UK ( 6 months at least)

Customer :

Yes I had thought of putting my property in another name and will proceed with this now i think just in case.

Abogado3044 :

But you need to do it as soon as possible

Customer :

Do you know if the change of name on property has to be done an amount of time before the court case

Abogado3044 :

because if you make it when you have the boubt, could be a criminal offence

Abogado3044 :

It has to be done after you got the debt in UK

Abogado3044 :

After the spanish sentence who forces you to pay

Abogado3044 :

Excuse me no after, before

Abogado3044 :

Before the sentence

Customer :

Yes I understand and is obvious otherwise it would definately be a criminal offence.

Abogado3044 :

That it is

Abogado3044 :

So, if you see the risk, make it now

Customer :

Thank you - there is always a risk and I had better be safe than sorry

Abogado3044 :

Thank you

Abogado3044 :

You are right

Abogado3044 :

Please to make a good rate of my service

Abogado3044 :

Have a good day

Expert:  José M. replied 1 year ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.