Thomas
Thomas, Solicitor
Experience:  UK based Immigration Solicitor

My landlord have delayed my deposit for more than a month,

My landlord have delayed my deposit for more than a month, how can I get it back? I have sent her an email before and had a telephone conversation in which she said she will return my deposit on Tuesday, 29th of January, 2013, but up to now I still haven't heard anything from her, what should I do legally to get back the deposit?
Category: European Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 1 year ago.
Hi

Where was the tenancy?

Tom
Expert:  Thomas replied 1 year ago.

Are you able to respond to the above post in order that I may provide you with an answer please?

Kind regards,

Tom
Expert:  Thomas replied 1 year ago.

Kind regards,

Tom
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The tenancy was in London. Sorry to reply late as I didn't receive an alert for your response.

Expert:  Thomas replied 1 year ago.

I'm afraid that I'm on my phoen for the rest of the evening, may I answer tomorrow morning please? about 1030am

Please let me know when the fixed term of the tenancy expired too?

Tom
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The tenancy expired in the 20th of December, 2012.

Expert:  Thomas replied 1 year ago.
Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX 1030am...
Expert:  Thomas replied 1 year ago.
Hi

Thanks for your patience.

If you occupied the property under an assured shorthold tenancy then the deposit should have been lodged (as legally required)with a tenancy deposit scheme by your landlord and you should have got a reference number for this.

Under these schemes your landlord should return the deposit to you within ten days of the tenancy ending if you and he agree on whether or not any deductions should be made from the deposit. If you do not agree then each scheme has an alternative dispute resolution service which you can initiate to determine any deductions and the return of the deposit.

You need to ask your landlord for the scheme reference number. If they don’t give you one you need to refer to the fact that it should have been protected in one and it is not lawful to have not done so, then request the immediate return of the whole of the mones. If they do not return at this point then you will have to sue them via www.moneyclaim.gov.uk but you will win

Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE or above if you are satisfied that you have received the correct legal advice (even if it is not the answer you wanted to hear), otherwise I do not receive any credit for answering your question.

If you are not willing to rate my answer as OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE then allow me to assist further by replying asking what clarification you require rather than rating my answer at levels below.

If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance on any question you may have in the future then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. “FAO Tom”.

Kind regards,

Tom
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

What will happen if the landlord still deny the deposit after i have made a claim about it?

Expert:  Thomas replied 1 year ago.

If you dispute the deduction of any monies from the deposit then it will go to the scheme's dispute resolution service. They will allow you each to submit your evidence and then make a determination over whether all or some of the deposit should be returned to you.

You have not rate my answer. Please do so now.

Tom
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

What kind of evidence do I need to have in order to get the deposit back?

Expert:  Thomas replied 1 year ago.

Hi

Please rate my answer and I shall reply..

Tom
Expert:  Thomas replied 1 year ago.

A statement as to condition may be fine on it's own if the landlord does not have any tangible evidence.

Ideally though you would refer to the checking in inventory and then to your own photos when you vacated the property, along with the checking out inventory.

Please rate my answer. I have answered your original question.

Tom
Thomas, Solicitor
Experience: UK based Immigration Solicitor