T.DePas
T.DePas, Attorney
Experience:  Solicitor - Ph.D. Doctor Europaeus in EU law
66763543

I am an United States citizen. Is it possible to gain legal

I am an United States citizen. Is it possible to gain legal residence in the Netherlands (without working). In other words, can an American retire in the EU? Or work outside of NL and return to a "home base" an apt., say, in Amsterdam, having legal residency there until retirement? Thank you.
Category: European Law
Expert:  T.DePas replied 4 years ago.

Dear customer,

Thanks for your question.

Could you please tell me if you have any relatives in The Netherlands or if you have ever lived there?

I look forward to hearing from you.

Best,

Tiziana

Expert:  T.DePas replied 4 years ago.

Dear customer,

unfortunately, if you do not have a job or if you do not go to the Netherlands to find a job or if you have never resided there, there is no way for a non-citizen to get the residence permit.

However, if you have relatives in the Netherlands, you could fall under the scope of Family reunification rules. Nonetheless, not all the family members are eligible to do that.

To discover more about family reunification rules you could check on this website and then click on "Staying in the Netherlands":

http://english.ind.nl/Brochures_en_Formulieren/index.aspx

I hope this answers your question. If it does, please don't forget to click on ACCEPT, otherwise I will not be compensated for my answer.

I remain at your complete disposal should you need any further information.

Kind regards,

Tiziana

Expert:  T.DePas replied 4 years ago.
Dear James,

Thank you for your acceptance.

I remain at your complete disposal should you need any further information or want to do new questions.

Thanks for using JustAnswer!
Expert:  T.DePas replied 4 years ago.
Dear James,

I hope my answer was of assistance to you.

If so, please do not forget to click on the ACCEPT button to allows JA to compensate me for my service.

Of course, I remain at your complete disposal should you need any further assistance.

Best,

Tiziana