Thomas, Solicitor
Experience:  UK based Immigration Solicitor

My sister has a one yr old daughter and she came into the country

My sister has a one yr old daughter and she came into the country into the country in 2003. And she has been here with hee husband ever since. What are her chances of residency.
Category: European Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 4 years ago.

Are you asking about your sister or her child?

What nationality is your sister?

What nationality is her husband?

What is her immigration status in the UK please?

Kind regards,

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Tere have over stayed in the UK. They are Nigerians.
Expert:  Thomas replied 4 years ago.

Thanks for your reply.

The daughter would not be entitled to UK citizenship if neither parent was a UK national then she would become eligible for citizenship once she has spent the first ten years.

A person who has been in the UK with a mix of legal leave to remain and being illegally here must be in the UK for a continuous period of 14 years in order to apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain. This is not something I could advise aiming for because there is no guanratee that it might not be revised at a later date.

I'm afraid that if no party to the family already has ILR or UK citizenship then it will be very hard to regularise their stay for a long time.

If this has been useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. If you do not click accept your money stays with the site and I do not receive any credit for the time I have taken to answer your question.

I will answer your follow up questions you may have.

Kind regards,

Expert:  Thomas replied 4 years ago.
I note you have not clicked accept to my answer. Is there any further information you require?
If you do not click accept then your deposit simply stays with the website and I receive absolutely no credit for the time I have taken to answer your question. Only when you click accept does a portion of your deposit actually transfer to me and you will not be charged any further money simply by clicking accept.
Please click accept. I cannot work for free.