Rev Dr August Abbott
Rev Dr August Abbott, Adult Etiquette Pro
Experience:  40 yrs: Etiquette teacher,Formal event officiate, announcement author, minister
1604863

My sister just finished installing her new kitchen... I saw

Customer Question

Hi Pearl! I'm Karen... My sister just finished installing her new kitchen...
JA: The Etiquette Expert will know what to do. Please tell me everything you can so the Etiquette Expert can help you best.
Customer: I saw it yesterday and was horrified for her! It's lovely however, the upper cabinets were mounted from the ceiling leaving a tremendous amount of pace between the countertop and underneath part of the upper cabinets...about 2-3 feet! It looks ridiculous. She can't even reach the second shelf of the cabinet! Do I tell her she should have had them mounted lower?
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Etiquette Expert should know?
Customer: There's a standard height the cabinets should be mounted above the counter. I believe it's 18" not exactly sure but whatever cabinet height is chosen, they are always mounted from the same point above the countertop.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Etiquette
Expert:  Rev Dr August Abbott replied 1 month ago.

I am August Abbott, formally trained x12 yrs private school:international protocols, etiquette. Please allow a few mins. to compose your response.

This is a very good question and it tells me a couple of important things about you: First, that you care about being polite and considerate; secondly, that you know in life it’s inappropriate to criticize anything (or anyone) without offering a solution or two at the same time.

I would expect that your sister already knows she’s got a problem with the cabinets and probably feels she’s got to adjust and just live with them the best she can since it’s a finished job.
So saying something will only add to her feelings of frustration and possibly regret at hiring the installers she had and then paying them for a job ‘not’ well done.

If you were to say anything you might want to offer your help in attaining a solution. One day while you’re trying to reach her upper shelves, turn to her and say, ‘If you want to have these lowered just let me know and I’ll pay half the bill. It would be worth it just to be able to reach up here’ and keep your attitude light.

Meanwhile, buy her a nice step stool that matches her kitchen. This could be another way to broach the subject and make a kind offer to help her have this work re-done.

I have no doubt that you’ll handle this quite adeptly as you impress me with being a thoughtful and kind sister.