CounselorJules, Counselor
Experience:  Licensed Professional Counselor

How do I handle inviting a guest to my son's wedding that I

Customer Question

how do I handle inviting a guest to my son's wedding that I overlooked and realize needs to be invited, I am so embarrassed
Category: Etiquette
Expert:  CounselorJules replied 4 months ago.

I think that in this case, honesty is the best approach. I am not sure how far out the date of the wedding is, but I think people are more forgiving than you realize. So, try personally calling, or if they are in town, hand deliver the invitation and just humbly say exactly what you just said. Explain as the mother of the groom, you have felt a bit overwhelmed and even make a small joke about how you feel like you have lost a bit of your senses and give another example of having been a bit scattered, then be very apologetic and discuss the importance of the relationship and give the personal invitation. I think it the most honest and vulnerable thing to do and it goes a long way to tell the truth about a situation rather than making an excuse :)

Hope that is helpful! Jules

I just wanted to follow back up with you and ask how things turned out and offer any more assistance if necessary :)