Rev Dr August Abbott
Rev Dr August Abbott, Adult Etiquette Pro
Experience:  40 yrs: Etiquette teacher,Formal event officiate, announcement author, minister
1604863

My live in boyfriends son just announced they will have a destination

Customer Question

My live in boyfriends son just announced they will have a destination wedding at my farm. They plan to fill the house with family and my 90 year of mother's lake cottage with family members. I was never asked and I am getting extremely angry. Now I am being perceived as the "bad guy". The wedding isn't until August 2017, perhaps this idea will fizzle out.
Category: Etiquette
Expert:  Rev Dr August Abbott replied 6 months ago.
You may feel free to tell your boyfriend and everyone making plans for your property without discussing it with you first that they are absolutely out of line and their behavior is a major faux pas in etiquette. This behavior is disrespectful at the very least and offensive at its worst. The proper thing for them to have done would have been to approach you with their idea. By including you from the beginning the channels of communication and compromise would have been open. By not speaking to you first these people have shown arrogance and disregard for anyone's feelings or needs other than their own Show them this response and let me urge the to apologize and back off their plans in their entirety. Once you forgive them - join together in rebuilding wedding plans that fit everyone's needs. Placing anyone in a 90 year old's home is a hugely bad idea since that senior citizen may feel more than imposed upon and perhaps threatened as it's not just common, but encouraged that they are alert to 'stranger danger' (like our children are taught) I sincerely ***** ***** this helps you in reminding these people that unfortunately, the world does not revolve around them and it's not all theirs for the taking
Is there anything further I can do to help support you on this? If you wouldn't mind giving a positive rating we can close this for now - however, I'll be here for you all the way as you need