TherapistJen, LCSW, CPC
Experience:  Licensed Clinical Social Worker and Certified Professional Coach

I've been hired to do a tea party group of 40 elderly

Customer Question

I've been hired to do a tea party for a group of 40 elderly ladies. the client has ordered a specific amount of food and wants me to (somehow), let guest know not to over indulge. Is there a way to say this to the group without offending anyone?
Category: Etiquette
Expert:  TherapistJen replied 5 months ago.
That is definitely a hard spot you have been put in. I think as you welcome the group you can simply say please enjoy the food and tea and pass around to your friends so that we may all share in the delicious food and afternoon. My hunch is after that, each of the women will take one thing and pass along and wait for others to have as well. Your client is also putting herself in a tough spot by not ordering enough food perhaps. Does it feel comfortable for you to mention what I have suggested above?
Let me know your thoughts.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Actually it was decided to plate the food in order to avoid this problem. The question I meant to ask was: this a Victorian tea party is at 6pm, how do they let people know in advance, possibly on the "tickets" that this is a tea party, not a dinner, so we don't want them to show up do mention this in "Victorian" classy way?
Well, Victorian tea parties are elegant and graceful so on the invitation or ticket you can say please join us for our lovely tea party where light hors d'oeuvres will be served. This makes it clear that it is tea with some light fare and not a full dinner.
Can I support you further?
If I can help you further, please let me know. If all good for now, please take a moment to click on the rating tab to rate my support so that I may be credited for my time. Thank you in advance.Jen
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I wasn't happy with the suggestion.
What weren't you happy with? I gave some practical, polite and easy thoughts to make things go smooth for you with a client that may be putting you in a tight spot.