Rev Dr August Abbott
Rev Dr August Abbott, Adult Etiquette Pro
Experience:  40 yrs: Etiquette teacher,Formal event officiate, announcement author, minister
1604863

What is an appropriate and not expensive hostess gift to take

Customer Question

What is an appropriate and not expensive hostess gift to take to a Sunday School party? I don't know the host/hostess nor any of their preferences. Is it even necessary to take a hostess gift? I am new in this community, and I want to do the proper thing.
Thank you.
Category: Etiquette
Expert:  Rev Dr August Abbott replied 9 months ago.
You're actually right in believing no gift is necessary; however, afterward, sending a 'thank you' card via regular mail (not email) to the hosts/hostesses of the event is proper. These days many people accept an email thank you, ***** ***** may certainly do that as well, but nothing get noticed more than a card one can touch and that gets one's attention like something in the mail (snail mail) You may also contact the hosts/hostesses beforehand and ask if there is anything you can do or contribute to setting up the event. This is a gesture also sure to be noticed and remembered - a great first impression!