Rev Dr August Abbott
Rev Dr August Abbott, Adult Etiquette Pro
Experience:  40 yrs: Etiquette teacher,Formal event officiate, announcement author, minister
1604863

I was at a function with my girl friend who met two of her

Customer Question

I was at a function with my girl friend who met two of her friends. we were going to go to an expensive steak house with her friends. My friend asked if I was going to pay for her friends which would have resulted in a $500 bill. I had no intention of doing that so my girlfriend got mad. what is proper in this situation? who was right?
Category: Etiquette
Expert:  Rev Dr August Abbott replied 12 months ago.

If you invited the additional people it is often implied they are your guests. If you said you were going to the steak house and the others said they like to come along, separate checks would be appropriate.

These days it's increasingly acceptable to be forthright and ask others to come along with a mention that you cannot 'treat' them this time given it's a spur of the moment event. Simple, to the point and polite. Then move on to another lighthearted subject.

Ask your gf to forgive you this time and reassure her that when you are forewarned and prepared to host guests you have no problem with doing so.