dolma888
dolma888, Etiquette Coach
Experience:  HuffPost manners blogger, certified etiquette coach, former director of protocol, city & county of San Francisco
53187960

What is the proper etiquette when someone gives you a bottle

Customer Question

What is the proper etiquette when someone gives you a bottle of wine, you try it a few days (or weeks) later, and it's gone bad?
Category: Etiquette
Expert:  djaggon replied 1 year ago.

That's very interesting. Sounds like a case of re-gifting. The proper thing to do is just simply do nothing. Mentioning it to the giver will cause some embarrassment. However, now you have some information about this individual that you can use to guide how this person values you and your friendship. You can also be at ease when it is your turn to give a gift and offer casual items.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your response. I do have some follow up, but I've been so busy I haven't been able to get to it. I hope I can send you some follow up questions a bit later with no problem. Thanks again.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello. Here's my follow-up: The person who gave me the wine is actually my boss. Last year at this time he gave me a bottle of wine and said it's one of his favorites. I tried it but it had gone bad. I didn't say anything. This year he gave me another bottle of the same wine, same vintage, and a bottle of another wine; he said he's been aging them both. I tried the "other bottle," and it had gone bad. I certainly don't want to offend, him, especially since he's my boss, but if he asks what I thought of one or other of the wines, what should I say? The wines are not expensive, and my impression is he's not very knowledgeable about wine (I'm no expert myself), but I don't want to come across as a wine snob or otherwise offend him, as I said. Thanks.