jenhelant
jenhelant, Etiquette Coach
Experience:  Etiquette is extremely important in many situations not just the ones we think!
13551071

The parents of our new Granddaughter in law will be visiting

Customer Question

The parents of our new Granddaughter in law will be visiting from Japan this weekend. We are invited to a dinner at a very Japanese restaurant to meet them. Understanding the people from Japan are big on gifting we have purchased a tin of gourmet tea (hibiscus)
and a box of almond cookies (not like you get at Chinese restaurants). Somehow it seems a bit "cheap" although they cost around $40 together. I'm told to give in twos and present wrapped in soft pastel wrap with both hands. Do you think what we have prepared
will be OK?
Category: Etiquette
Expert:  jenhelant replied 1 year ago.

l would like to help. I think you have prepared well. What is important is the thought. Since this is a meeting I do not recommend an extravegant gift. Also, because if you started with such then at bigger ocassions they may expect more. They also should be understanding if you are a different culture and learning about theirs. This alone will should cause them to appreciate you.. In anycase, it sounds to me that your gift is nice and well planned even to the way you wrapped it. All the best to you and please let me know if I can be of further help. Thanks