DrJackiePhD
DrJackiePhD, Doctor
Experience:  I have been doing research in relational/interpersonal communication since 1998. My Ph.D. is in interpersonal communication.
68163550

My husbnd is having an 80th birthday during the Thaksgiving

Customer Question

My husbnd is having an 80th birthday during the Thaksgiving holiday. How far ahead
of time shall i send invitations? inviting 6--100,holiday time diffficult. Just sente out savet he date.
Category: Etiquette
Expert:  DrJackiePhD replied 1 year ago.
I'm Dr. Jackie, an interpersonal communication researcher/professor and relationship expert/counselor. And I want to help.
First of all, congrats to your husband. What a super event and wonderful celebration that will be! I wish you the best with that!
Second, while I am not an etiquette expert, but I do know what the norm is. And the norm is that right now, just like you have done, it's appropriate for the "save the date". You obviously know that. As far as the formal invitations go, anywhere between 4-6 weeks is acceptable. By that point you should have all the details down except of course for how many will be attending and all that that relates to (how much food and drinks, etc.)
Most people I know do about 4 weeks. They already know the date, so a month or a little longer gives them the time frame and what kind of party (formal, casual, etc.) as well as other details like menu, etc. And give them 2 weeks to respond, preferably with self-addressed and stamped, enclosed return envelopes. This is for the most formal, following proper social etiquette. But I also have seen people include emails and phone numbers for easier RSVP. In this electronic age, even formal affairs are being scheduled and planned online.
I hope this helps. Please let me know if you have any other questions or anything you would like me to research.
Take good care,
--Dr. Jackie