Loren, Attorney
Experience:  30 years experience in the practice of estate law.
17897874

My sister passed away & she has approx $60,000 in a bank

My sister passed away & she has approx $60,000 in a bank that should be divided evenly between myself & my brother. Is there any way he can try to take it all? I haven't been able to reach him & he won't return my calls. Help
JA: Estate laws vary by state. What state are you in?
Customer: Washington
JA: What documents or supporting evidence do you have?
Customer: I'll have the death certificate tomorrow & this money is what's left from the sale of a Maui condo we all three inherited in October I think it was.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I can't think of anything, just don't want him to cheat me on what's rightfully mine.

I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs. Thank you for your patience as I review the question. I will post my response shortly.

My condolences for your loss.

Is the estate in probate? Is the distribution of the assets being overseen by the court?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Not that I know of. He was doing some things yesterday & most likely took the death certificate to the bank. I'm not exactly sure of the bank, I'm waiting to hear back on what bank it is.

You may want to retain counsel. It is possible he could go to the bank with a small estate affidavit to ask that they release the account to him. So, you will want to straighten that out and confirm his intentions.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** an appt in the am

Hopefully he will do the right thing, but it is best to have a back up plan, just in case.

Did you have further questions? Is there additional information I can provide you?

You are very welcome.

If you have no further questions, and have not yet done so, please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for answering your question.

There is no additional charge to you for rating me favorably.

A bonus is not expected, but is always appreciated.

Thank you!