Thomas McJD
Thomas McJD, Attorney
Experience:  Wills, Trusts, Probate & other Estate Matters
19305272

My wife's sister preceded her husband in death. Now her

Customer Question

My wife's sister preceded her husband in death. Now her brother-in-law passed away on 12/30/2016. The brother of the deceased claims he is the only heir to the estate. The last known "will" named Shirley Jean Lovinggood, my wife, as the heir to her estate. Does Shirley have a legal claim to the assets of the estate left by brother-in-law?
JA: Since estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Omaha, Nebraska
JA: What documents or supporting evidence do you have?
Customer: We do not have any documents. However, I personally typed a revised "will" for my sister-in-law prior to her death that named Shirley as her heir. We do not have a copy of the "will". The brother that claims to be the only heir is also the executor of the estate. Doesn't he have to probate the will?
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Just that we want to see the final will and testament of the brother-in-law when it is probated.
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 5 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question.

.

How long ago did sister pass?

.

And presumably the brother in law never filed a probate case to settle his wife's estate?

.

Do you know if they owned everything jointly?

.

.

thanks

.