Loren, Attorney
Experience:  30 years experience in the practice of estate law.
17897874

My dad passed away back in march 2015 and i have a lawsuit

Customer Question

my dad passed away back in march 2015 and i have a lawsuit going on against the doctor and my lawyer said i have to do an estate
JA: Since estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: nevada
JA: What documents or supporting evidence do you have?
Customer: i dont have any i dont know where to get the documents
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Loren replied 3 months ago.
Good morning. I am Loren, a licnesed attorney, and I hope to answer your question and provide you excellent service.
Expert:  Loren replied 3 months ago.
My condolences for your loss.
Yes, you do need to open an estate in probate if you are pursuing a claim for wrongful death based upon medical malpractice. The named plaintiff is the estate of your father.
It is recommended you retain counsel to represent you in probate court, but the forms to open the estate are available from the clerk of the court. The filing fee is usually a few hundred dollars to file the petition and open the estate. If there was a will then that would need to be filed as well and admitted for probate.
The proper venue is the county where your father was a resident on his date of death.
Expert:  Loren replied 3 months ago.
Did you have further questions? Have I answered your question?
Expert:  Loren replied 3 months ago.
If you have no further questions, and have not yet done so, please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for assisting you.
There is no additional charge to you for rating me favorably.
A bonus is not expected, but is always appreciated.
Thank you!
Expert:  Loren replied 3 months ago.

If you have no further questions please remember to rate my service so that I am credited by JA for answering your question and also so that I may close the question.

There is no additional charge to you for a 5 star rating of my service.

Thank you!