Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney
Experience:  Estate Law Expert
11068102

My mom died on the 13th. of this month. The only will is

Customer Question

Hello, My mom died on the 13th. of this month. The only will is from 1992 and still lists people as reps who have long since died. Mom had no real property or valuables or cash was heavily in debt and there is no money to pay these debts. I am struggling with finding a direction. She did own a manufactured home in a senior park, she did not own the site, monthly rental. She deferred the taxes for several years. I need to know where to start or if I should just walk away.
JA: Since estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: oregon
JA: What documents or supporting evidence do you have?
Customer: just an old will from 1992
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: There are only two heirs left. myself and my brother. Neither of us has the funds to pay the space rent or the utilities for the home. Mom did have a little car that was eleven years old.
Submitted: 12 days ago.
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 12 days ago.

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today.

Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 12 days ago.

This sounds like an estate you should just walk way from. The creditors have to be paid before any assets are disbursed so unless you have more assets than there are creditors then it is rarely worth pursuing a probate, especially when you add in attorney's fees.

The will being old doesn't matter, since the law provides for that, the real issue is whether there are more debts than there are assets.