Loren, Attorney
Experience:  30 years experience in the practice of estate law.
17897874

My mother passed away a few months ago.We had been estranged

Customer Question

My mother passed away a few months ago.We had been estranged for many years.I recieved from the state an inheritance from her to be split between my brother,sister and me.My mother and i had no relationship for many years.I did not even go to her funeral.apparentley she must have forgoten about it,if she remembered it she would not have me as a recipient.My question is would my sister who was close to my mother sued me for the share of the life insurance about 4,000 dollars win given the circumstance that my mother and i had no relationship?
JA: Since estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: new york
JA: What documents or supporting evidence do you have?
Customer: From the state that I was to recieve a third of the amount
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Loren replied 6 months ago.

Good morning. I am Loren, a licensed attorney, and I look forward to assisting you. My condolences for your loss.

Expert:  Loren replied 6 months ago.

The lack of a cordial relationship between heir and decedent has no relevance in regard to inheritance. The terms of the will control and, in the absence of a will, the state's laws of intestate succession apply.

Your sister has no legal claim based upon the lack of a relationship with your mother to claim your share of the estate.

Expert:  Loren replied 6 months ago.

Did you have further questions? I am happy to continue if you need further information.

Have I answered your question?

Expert:  Loren replied 6 months ago.

If you have no further questions, and have not yet done so, please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for assisting you.

There is no additional charge to you for rating me favorably.

A bonus is not expected, but is always appreciated.

Thank you!