Barrister, Attorney
Experience:  16 yrs estate law, real estate. Wills/Trusts/Probate
19958803

My step-father died in 2014; and his sister said he had some

Customer Question

My step-father died in 2014; and his sister said he had some money invested with ***** ***** that was supposed to be divided up and I would have gotten 1/4 of. The lawyer who handled his estate said it was never presented to him. ***** ***** said it got moved. How do I find out where and who did it ?
JA: Estate laws vary by state. What state are you in?
Customer: Kansas
JA: What documents or supporting evidence do you have?
Customer: My aunt used to handle all his books; and ***** *****
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No. My Aunt and my roommate who helped take care of my step-dad are the ones who told me about it.
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 7 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney whowill try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply,but rest assured, I am working on your question.

Can you tell me who the executor of the estate was?

.

Did you ever get a copy of any will showing you to be an heir?

.

Was the estate settled and then closed?

.

.

thanks

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
My step- sister was the executor. Yes I did get a copy showing me to be an heir. The estate was settled and I assume closed in 2014. I did ask my step sister about it. She said she didn't know anything about it.

Ok, unfortunately the time frame to contest the will would have passed now that the estate is closed. But step sister would be the only one who would have had legal authority to contact ***** ***** about the account and request information. So if you can get her involved, then she could send EJ a letter asking about the status of the account and who transferred it and they would have to respond since she was the legal representative of the estate. If the account is sitting out there somewhere, then she could reopen the estate and take possession of it to distribute it to the heirs if the account didn't already have a named beneficiary.

.

If it did, then that would explain why it wasn't in the estate because if it had a named beneficiary, then that money would have gone directly to them, not through probate.

.

.

thanks