Maverick
Maverick, Attorney
Experience:  20 yrs of professional experience.
16823287

12620

Customer Question

12620
Submitted: 12 days ago.
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Maverick replied 12 days ago.

Welcome to Just Answer! My name is***** give me a few minutes to review your inquiry. Thank you for your patience.

Expert:  Maverick replied 12 days ago.

*What State are you located in and asking about?

*Can you please give us more background information so we can better assist you?

*Can you please state your specific legal question so we know what type of answer you are looking for?

*What have you tried on this front so far?

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
I live in Texas. My husband and I have real estate. We have 5 children. He died without a will. Do I need an executor to handle the estate.The real estate is mostly rental property. Can the children claim any of the income from the rental estate?
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
get a reply
Expert:  Maverick replied 12 days ago.

Be with you in a moment...

Expert:  Maverick replied 12 days ago.

An executor will not work here since there was no Will. If the estate is worth more than $50,000 (not including the homestead and certain non-probate assets), it may be necessary for a court to determine who the heirs. In these situations, the judge will appoint an "attorney ad litem" to represent the interests of potential or "unknown" heirs. This is done under a Suit to Determine Heirship. Once the heirs are determined, then the decedent's property will be distributed under Texas intestate laws. Thus, the heirs will most likely need to hire a probate lawyer go to court to clear title to homes and other real estate, stocks, pensions, and bank accounts.

Generally, under TX intestate laws the

• you would inherit all of your husband's community property, plus 1/3 of his separate personal property and the right to use his real estate for life;

• children would inherit everything else.

Please Note:

(1) The information I provide is general in nature and for educational purposes only. For example, it may help you identify the scope of receiving unbundled legal services from a local lawyer. It should not be construed as “legal advice” or as the rendition of “legal services” on any subject matter. I am not a specialist in any field. This information may not reflect current legal developments for your specific jurisdiction and is not guaranteed to be correct or complete. No attorney-client relationship is established without a signed written agreement and our communications are not confidential. Please do not act or fail to act based on this information alone. If you need legal advice or services regarding a specific matter, you should consult in-person with a local lawyer who can guide you after reviewing all the pertinent details of your situation. This disclaimer also applies to any telephone communications we may have.

(2) Most follow-up questions are answered with in the hour; however, if I am not signed on, please allow up to 24 hours.

(3) When we are done, please assign a feedback rating