Barrister, Attorney
Experience:  15 yrs estate law, real estate. Wills/Trusts/Probate
19958803

I have full authority of the state of my father. I need to

Customer Question

I have full authority of the state of my father. I need to be added to the deed of the home now that they both have passed away. What are the steps I need to take ?
Submitted: 18 days ago.
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 18 days ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney whowill try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone whocan. There may be a slight delay in myresponses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply,but rest assured, I am working on your question.

.

Have you actually filed a formal probate case in court to settle his estate and been appointed as the representative of his estate?

.

.

thanks

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
I am.the executive of the estate with full authority
Expert:  Barrister replied 18 days ago.

Ok, if you have paid all the debts of the estate and filed any final tax returns for the estate and for father personally, then you would transfer the property out of his name and into yours by having an estate deed drafted by a local real estate or probate attorney where you sign as the personal representative of the estate as the grantor over to yourself personally as the grantee.

.

The deed is then notarized and filed with the local land records office to complete the transfer.

.

.

thanks

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
How long do those things usually take
Expert:  Barrister replied 18 days ago.

An attorney should be able to get the deed drawn up in a day or two, depending on how busy he is.. Then you just get it signed in front of a notary and filed for recording...maybe another day or two..

.

.

thanks

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Are u local in Sacramento
Expert:  Barrister replied 18 days ago.

Sorry no, and unfortunately, I am not allowed to represent customers from the site or recommend anyone personally under my agreement with JustAnswer. However, these are a couple sites that we attorneys actually use if we need foreign counsel in a state where we aren't licensed. Further, customers have consistently reported good results with these sites:

.

www.martindale.com

.

www.lawyers.com

.

They screen their attorneys based on geographic location, area of practice, time in practice, cost and customer reviews.

.

But literally, any real estate attorney or probate attorney can draft up the deed.. You can even contact a local title company or closing company to see if they could do it. They would likely be cheaper and faster and can help with getting it notarized and recorded for you.

.

.

thanks