Bill Attorney
Bill Attorney, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney
94475420

My parents very smart and planned well and discussed their

Customer Question

My parents very smart and planned well and discussed their plans for our inheritance several years ago.
My mother (91) recently left each of 6 kids $200,000.
My parents attorney had a meeting with us and my dad (92) and outlined the future and how things work.
My spouse and I met with our financial advisor agreed we would spend what my mom left to get rid of our medical and CC bills.
Question: since my dad is 92 and has had physical problems that require 24-HR care since 2013. I am not expecting much if anything when he goes. If I am left something is it mine or a joint amount with spouse?
Submitted: 19 days ago.
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Bill Attorney replied 19 days ago.

This is attorney Bill offering assistance with your estate planning question.

Alabama is an equitable distribution state that does not distribute inheritance or gifts among spouses as these are not defined as marital property.Sections 30-2-51 and 52 of the Code of Alabama (1975

Hence, if you are left something, it is left to you alone as you wish. If this money is commingled with other household funds then the separation of your inheritance will become less clear.

SO the answer to your question is that it is yours alone.

PLEASE REMEMBER TO RATE GOOD TO GREAT BEFORE EXITING

THIS GIVES ME A CREDIT

I WORK FOR CREDITS

I'm here for your follow ups

Attorney Bill

Expert:  Bill Attorney replied 18 days ago.

Dear Customer,

This is attorney Bill following up with you on your question. We are here to help and provide further information when needed.

PLEASE REMEMEBER THAT EXPERTS WORK FOR POSITIVE RATINGS AND I’VE NOTICED THAT YOU HAVE YET TO RATE.

Encouraging you to follow up

Attorney Bill