Loren, Attorney
Experience:  30 years experience in the practice of estate law.
17897874

I was the beneficiary of a trust and received money most of

Customer Question

I was the beneficiary of a trust and received money most of which I got eight years ago or longer ago. A small amount of the money I got three and a half years ago. There were two trustees. One trustee told me they were giving me that money because the attorney for that trust said they had to give it to me. Now three and a half years after I got the last check the other trustee wants to claim that that trustee might have given me too much money and she is trying to claim she gave it to me as an investment and to give it back, but it was never an investment. The other trustee had checked it out with their attorney in the first place and their attorney had said they have to give it to me because the trust said so. There were four beneficiaries all together. I was one of the four beneficiaries. The second trustee has stated recently that some of the other benefeciaries are thinking about sueing me because they are mad about who got what. Is the statute of limitations for them to sue me over? I am in the state of California. The trust is in the state of Kentucky.
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: I am in the state of California. The trust is in the state of Kentucky. What is the statute of limitations for another beneficiary to sue me because they are unhappy with the way the trust was divided out?
JA: What documents or supporting evidence do you have?
Customer: I am one of four beneficiaries.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I do not have documents or supporting evidence. I just want to know what the statute of limitations are for another beneficiary to sue me if they are not happy with the way the trustees dispersed the money. The trustee who dispersed the money did disperse based on what her attorney told her she needed to do.
Submitted: 20 days ago.
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Loren replied 20 days ago.

Good afternoon. I am Loren, a licensed attorney, and I look forward to assisting you.

Expert:  Loren replied 20 days ago.

The beneficiaries have no direct claim against you. Their claim is against the trustee, who can then sue you for recovery of the overpayment.

If the trustees filed an accounting then the beneficiaries only have 3 yrs to sue the trustee fo rbreach of fiduciary duty.

Expert:  Loren replied 19 days ago.

If you have no further questions, and have not yet done so, please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for assisting you.

There is no additional charge to you for rating me favorably.

A bonus is not expected, but is always appreciated.

Thank you!