Thomas McJD
Thomas McJD, Attorney
Experience:  Wills, Trusts, Probate & other Estate Matters
19305272

Mom died three years ago, and the estate has been closed for

Customer Question

Mom died three years ago, and the estate has been closed for over two years, and all distributions made. We thought ! !A few months ago, I saw mom’s name listed in the Gazette, in the Iowa State Treasurer’s Office’s Treasure Hunt. I notified all siblings, and one of the two co-executors took care of contacting them and doing the paperwork to distribute the dividends and stocks that were sitting there, among the six of us. They are now being paid out to us, individually.First question: Because the existence of these assets were unknown to us at that time, they were not reported in the inventory list in the process of closing mom’s estate. Do we need to re-open mom’s estate now?? Mom’s attorney and his paralegal have both retired now, so they aren’t available for us to ask them.Second question: Is there anything we as individuals have to report or do?? I don’t know if this matters, as far as the values, but my sister checked, and when my mother died, the stocks were worth $23.63 per stock. They are now selling at $77. xx per share. We each got 12 shares. The dividends sitting there were also divided among the six children, and the checks were for $22.83. each.Third question: Does whether we now each keep…or sell…the shares, change what we would individually need to do --- now or later ??
JA: Since estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Iowa
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: no
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: not that i can think of at this time
Submitted: 14 days ago.
Category: Estate Law
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  LawTalk replied 14 days ago.

Good afternoon,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

As you have asked for a phone call, I will be happy to call you. You can process the request for the call a call by clicking on the "Call Me" button on your page.

Thanks in advance, I look forward to speaking with you.

Doug

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
There is no "call me" button.
Customer: replied 14 days ago.