Irwin Law
Irwin Law, Attorney
Experience:  30+ yrs. handling probate estate, wills, trust, inheritance & real estate related matters
18215332

Nevada estate law question

Customer Question

Nevada estate law question
Submitted: 17 days ago.
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  RobertJDFL replied 17 days ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer. I am a licensed attorney and look forward to helping you. I am reviewing your question and will reply back shortly.

What did you need help with today?

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
I see you are located in Florida. Do you have information about Nevada estate law?

I'm certainly capable of researching Nevada estate law. This is a site for legal information purposes. If you tell me what your issue is, I'll see if I can help you, and if not, I can always opt out in favor of another expert.

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
OK. I need to know what kind of forms I need to fill in order to change a name on a deed. My father passed and left a Living Trust where he mentioned his house and car, the only two things that my name wasn't on. Is there any other form than Declaration of Value and the Living Trust I have to show to Clark County Registrar? Thank you!
Expert:  Irwin Law replied 17 days ago.

Good evening, I see that the prior expert has opted out. I'll be happy to assist with your question. If your father did in fact transfer title to the house and the car to the trustee before he died, then the trustee (probably the alternate trustee if your father was the first trustee) must follow the instructions contained in the trust as to what to do upon the death of your father. If the trust says to distribute the property in the trust to you, then the trustee will execute a trustee's deed to you. The same is true with the car. The trustee will transfer the title to you by endorsing it and you can process the title transfer through the Nevada DMV.

I hope that I have provided excellent service and, if so, would love a 5 star rating. If not, please let me know how I can further assist you. There is no additional charge to you for rating me. A bonus is not required, but is always appreciated.

Thanks again for using JUST ANSWER.

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Thank you for your reply, Mr. Law! Actually my question was what kind of forms I need to fill before going to the Clark County Registrar? I know I have to fill out the Declaration of Value form and to bring the Living Trust, but are there any other forms i need to prepare before going to the Clark County Registrar?
Thank you!
Expert:  Irwin Law replied 17 days ago.

The estate procedure that you are trying to follow is completely foreign to me. I believe that you have received some erroneous information. When someone dies you don't take of couple of forms to the registrar's office and expect them to transfer title to property. It just doesn't work that way. If I were you I would consult a title insurance company.Tell them that you are planning to sell the property and need to know how to get the title transferred from your father's trust. Have you actually searched the property record to find out if the house was in fact deeded to the trust? If it wasn't, then you have a whole different problem to deal with.

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
the house and the car were deeded to the Trust. I am not planning to sell the house, just to transfer the title on my name.
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
How do I search for the property record?
Expert:  Irwin Law replied 17 days ago.

Okay. Here is the Declaration form that you need. http://www.clarkcountynv.gov/recorder/documents/dv_packet.pdf

The other form is a Trustee's Grant Deed. There are many online services that prepare deeds for their customers. Here is one that you might check into.

Expert:  Irwin Law replied 17 days ago.

Someone at the County registrar or recorder's office will have to show you where the deed records are. They might be all on computer now, so they can probably show you the last recorded deed just by the name and address of the property. I'm not that familiar with your local county, so you just have to go to that office and check into it, if you want to do a mortgage lien search they can show you where the records for that would be.

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Thank you for the info about the deed records, Mr. Law! I have the Declaration of Value form but where do I find the Trustee's Grand Deed form?
Expert:  Irwin Law replied 17 days ago.

If you Google "Nevada deed form", you will find several dozen sites that offer to create a completed deed for you. You can give them the information, i.e. names of the grantor, grantee, legal description, etc. and they will send you a completed form. The cost shouldn't be more than $20. Or, you can go to a lawyer's office and have one professionally prepared for about $50, or maybe less. It's a fairly simple task.