How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Roger Your Own Question
Roger, Attorney
Category: Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 31561
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
Type Your Estate Law Question Here...
Roger is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Person is still alivie; have 4 people that have power of

Customer Question

Person is still alivie; have 4 people that have power of attnorney right now. How long can the power of attorney be in place, especially if they are excluding the last of the family members?
JA: Can you tell me what state this is in? And just to clarify, what paperwork has been filed?
Customer: California and the only paperwork that has been filed is the Power of Attorney
JA: What documents or supporting evidence do you have?
Customer: Nothing. We are in Arizona and hearing everything 3rd party.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: These 4 people are excluding the last of his family members. His brother and sister.
Submitted: 5 months ago.
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Roger replied 5 months ago.

Hi - my name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to assist.

If the powers of attorney are not acting in the best interest of the person, then the family members could file a petition in court for a legal guardianship/conservatorship over the person and ask the judge to terminate/cancel the powers of attorney and to appoint a relative as guardian/conservator.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
One of the 4 is a relative and we don't think she is doing the right thing. What can we do from Arizona
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
No. I am trying to do this for my husband,; it is becoming quite impossible at this m
point with his sister
Expert:  Roger replied 5 months ago.

It doesn't matter if one of the POA's is a relative. The main issue is whether the person is acting in the best interest of the person or not....if not you can do the above.

Expert:  Roger replied 5 months ago.

If you are his spouse, then you should have the most right to challenge the POA's and ask the court to appoint you as his guardian/conservator and give you the authority to act on his behalf.