Roger, Attorney
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
6704987

Person is still alivie; have 4 people that have power of

Customer Question

Person is still alivie; have 4 people that have power of attnorney right now. How long can the power of attorney be in place, especially if they are excluding the last of the family members?
JA: Can you tell me what state this is in? And just to clarify, what paperwork has been filed?
Customer: California and the only paperwork that has been filed is the Power of Attorney
JA: What documents or supporting evidence do you have?
Customer: Nothing. We are in Arizona and hearing everything 3rd party.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: These 4 people are excluding the last of his family members. His brother and sister.
Submitted: 24 days ago.
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Roger replied 24 days ago.

Hi - my name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to assist.

If the powers of attorney are not acting in the best interest of the person, then the family members could file a petition in court for a legal guardianship/conservatorship over the person and ask the judge to terminate/cancel the powers of attorney and to appoint a relative as guardian/conservator.

Customer: replied 24 days ago.
One of the 4 is a relative and we don't think she is doing the right thing. What can we do from Arizona
Customer: replied 24 days ago.
No. I am trying to do this for my husband,; it is becoming quite impossible at this m
point with his sister
Expert:  Roger replied 24 days ago.

It doesn't matter if one of the POA's is a relative. The main issue is whether the person is acting in the best interest of the person or not....if not you can do the above.

Expert:  Roger replied 24 days ago.

If you are his spouse, then you should have the most right to challenge the POA's and ask the court to appoint you as his guardian/conservator and give you the authority to act on his behalf.