RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Attorney
Experience:  Texas lawyer for 30 years in Estate law
8534270

Please refer to my last question and your answer!! He (his

Customer Question

Please refer to my last question and your answer!! He (his estate) has well over $60,000 in real estate, a million dollar home on Lake Tillery, they live in, now just Mom. A house in the mountains, they keep reanted out most of the year, a condo and 2 weeks time share at the beach- they rent the condo out, use the time share. Several houses and over 30 apartments that he rents out in Rockingham and Hamlet, NC.
You said that Mom would get 1/3, so I'm assuming that the other 2/3 would go to his blood children. Am I right? Step-children get nothing??
Oh yeah, I have a flip cell phone(I'm not fond of texting, it so impersonal), it's not made for texting, but it will receive a text. You cannot tap on it and get it to do anything. So, I'd just as soon you give me the full answer here.
Submitted: 20 days ago.
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  RayAnswers replied 20 days ago.

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question, conduct and prepare your response.

Under the NC rules of intestate succession, because your step-father did not have a will, your mother will inherit 1/3 of his real estate, and part of his personal property. If he has less than $60,000 in personal property (pretty much everything but real estate), your mother will get it all. If he had more than $60,000 in personal property, then your mother would get the first $60,000 of it and 1/3 of the remainder.

And yes the children here split the 2/3 over these amounts.Thanks again for the chance to help tonight.