originallawyer
originallawyer, Attorney
Experience:  8+ years of experience in writing wills and probating estates in a variety of ways.
74576488

My cousin recently passed away in Texas without a will. His

Customer Question

My cousin recently passed away in Texas without a will. His closest survivors are first cousins. The surviving cousin on his Mothers's side of the family has been dealing with a lawyer in Houston who is handling the estate. She reached out to the cousins on his fathers side after the judge told her she had to research and find all surviving relatives. She has never told us who is the executor or the attorney handling the case. I have requested the information but she doesn't reply. How can I find out the information we are requesting?
JA: Since estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Tx
JA: What documents or supporting evidence do you have?
Customer: We have not received and documents. We know he passed away and she has to identify all surviving relatives
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Submitted: 21 days ago.
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  originallawyer replied 21 days ago.

Thanks for your question! I am working on your answer. This service is for information only. I cannot give you legal advice. Please stand by!

Once documents are admitted for probate in a court, the file is public record. So if you know the county where the estate has been probated, you can call that court and ask for copies of the file. The name of the executor and other information you want will be in that file. It will be a small fee to receive these copies. Depending on the size of the county, there may also be an online search feature where you can look up the file yourself. Additionally, if you live in the area, you can travel to the court house and look at the file in person.