Barrister, Attorney
Experience:  16 yrs estate law, real estate. Wills/Trusts/Probate
19958803

My dads house is in his trust and he just passed away before

Customer Question

My dads house is in his trust and he just passed away before closing on sale of house
I had POA, but what happens now
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 3 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply,but rest assured, I am working on your question.

.

Who is trustee of the trust?

.

.

thanks

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Myself and my sister

Ok, then as the trustees, you would just continue on with the sale as normal. If the house was in the trust, the trust owns it and you and sister as trustees would have to be the ones signing everything anyway. The trustees are the legal representatives of the trust and have to sign off on any sale of assets that the trust owns.

.

Once the trust sells the house, the funds would go back into the trust to be disbursed according to whatever the trust terms are with you and sister being responsible for settling the trust, paying any debts that father had, and then disbursing the surplus assets to the beneficiaries of the trust.

.

.

thanks