Damien Bosco
Damien Bosco, Attorney
Experience:  Helping you with your legal questions.
68302747

After my mother passed my sister talked my dad into changing

Customer Question

After my mother passed my sister talked my dad into changing the living trust and give her 90% and leaving a 10% spit withme and my brother. When Mom was alive we all had a third. Out of respect to my dad i signed a letter from his lawyer without getting advice. My brother has not signed and was told he could still hold out and then the old will would take place. Can i resend my signature? I screwed up big time!!!
JA: Estate laws vary by state. What state are you in?
Customer: California
JA: What documents or supporting evidence do you have?
Customer: There was the new trust with the changes made with the old and a paper we were to sign from a new lawyer my dad got.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I think i said it all--Thanks I am just feeling bad my dad would ask me to do this. Also she moved in getting free rent and got Moms nice car. My dad told me he doing this since she is taking care of him. We all do our share
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Damien Bosco replied 4 months ago.

Hello. My name is***** am an attorney. I will review your question. I may need to clarify facts first. I will answer & we can discuss issues.

It may be difficult for you to resend the agreement you signed it.(although I am not sure exactly what it was) unless you were under duress. However, it does sound like your dad may have been unduly influenced by your sister, which could be a reason to dispute the validity of the trust. We can discuss more if you would like to do so.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Can my brother hold out and cause this to go back to the original trust? He has not signed his yet. It was my understanding we all had to be in agreement

Yes. That is a possibility. It sounds like all the beneficiaries have to agree, so if your brother does not agree, the trust could not be modified. We can continue to discuss.

Hello again! Checking in to see if you need further help. Your satisfaction is my goal, and I'm happy to answer a related follow-up question you may have. If I have not answered your question completely or missed a question, please let me know and I will attempt to answer it. If you are satisfied with your answer, please provide a positive rating between 3 and 5 stars for the service I provided to you. Best regards.